TPBO
Here are two slight variations of what I've got fixed in my mind at this point. Probably should be a new thread, but for now I'll leave it here until something really gets built Goldth

Version 1 - Using only the existing 18in X 20ft benchwork which requires the train to be staged as if it has just entered the industrial spur...

Version 2 - With the addition of an 8in X 6ft staging track which would allow the train to actually enter the spur off the main...

I've kept the number of industries on this short (3/10 mile long) spur to just four to not overload the space and allow for a fair amount of scenery and clearly show where the spur connects to the "outside world". Very simple track arrangement, but typical of hundreds of such industrial spurs and it should offer plenty of operation.

Industries are:
1) Coca-Cola Bottling Plant - spots 2 to 3 tank cars of HFCS - one on spot being unloaded goes inside a small shed that is not quite the length of a tank car. The actual building will not be modeled, but may include storage tanks, similar to this...     I do plan to have a paved lot to the right of the track with truck trailers and a few Coke trucks sitting there. I haven't looked, but I'd guess that someone makes HO models of Coke delivery trucks and/or semi-trailers. The entire Coca-Cola area will be inside chain link fence.

2) Temple-Inland Containers - can spot a covered hopper or tank car by the small tanks at end of track - then at least 5 - 50ft box cars can be placed at specific spots at the main building. This is the largest customer on the spur and the reason the spur was originally laid. Credit Jack Hill http://oscalewcor.blogspot.com/ for this industry on the layout and will be switched the same as his PCA container plant.

3) Higgin's Premium Pet Foods - spots one or two covered hoppers of grain and an occasional box car for an outbound shipment. This company is actually located in Hialeah, FL, on CSXT and as I wanted either a feed mill or fertilizer dealer, when I saw this small facility on Google maps http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=25.88...7&t=h&z=18 - I moved it to my part of the country (along with all employees). My dog Abigail will appreciate the gesture. And no, I don't plan on trying to build an exact model of the real structure - just something reasonably close.

4) Trans-Load or Team Track - (The Jack of all Trades industry) track capacity is 5 - 50ft+ cars and they can be most anything. Primarily will be getting loads of lumber and building products (bulkhead flats/box cars) for a building supply dealer. Other odd shipments like a reffer load of potatoes or produce, perhaps even a car of bulk cement now and then - you get the idea. Have included a concrete dock/ramp at the end of the track for any shipments that might require it. I think I've got at least one TTPX chain flat so might see a load of machinery now and then.

The team track can also be used to hold a couple of cars in storage for Temple-Inland, although I'm going to say that all their stored cars are kept in the nearby yard or siding and are brought in as requested. I suppose I could put in another turnout just to the left of the first road crossing and angle a track off it that could hold 4 or 5 cars for storage, but for now I'll leave that out.

I put a highway overpass at one end of the plan and included two grade crossings to block while switching Eek . Temple-Inland and Coca-Cola get switched every day, Higgin's about every other day on average. Probably will be at least one car for team track every day. I plan on limiting the switch jobs to a maximum of 5 inbound cars for any operating session, although there can always be more than one switch job during a day if desired. Based on real and model experience I'd venture to say that a "typical" operating session that works every industry will take well over an hour.

Going to work on temporarily placing the track per Version 1 today and try and get a feel for things. That about covers this plan concept - open to suggestions Thumbsup
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread