TPBO
Justinmiller171 Wrote:
FCIN Wrote:Not sure what you mean by "Flow"

I meant that the most of the track on your plan is parallel to the table edge and when I wrote that I was thinking of the industrial parks I have seen where most track is at some sort of angle.

I am still fairly new to modeling switching layouts and I have never visited an Industrial Park in Real-Life, The only Switching areas I have visited have been along a branch-line where the tracks are more spread apart. Sometimes I forget How Real Industrial Parks Are laid out 35 .

Guys,If I may..

Justin, Railroads have a habit of not "flowing" track that is a LDE(Layout Design Element) we modelers use for our track..A close study of track on a Bing map will show that railroads use curves only when necessary..

As far as industries being close together on Ed's plan..

Think of being 1/87th walking from industry to industry and you will soon note those industries isn't that close. Icon_lol Our 1:1 eyes doesn't scale model distance all that well since we can take in the whole scene on a ISL and small loop layouts.

The modern ISL design follows prototype track designs unlike older ISL track plans which in most cases is based on what I would call a spaghetti bowl design which left very little working room..

Of course that means changing thoughts on the old way of designing a ISL.

There is 2 books I recommend "How To Design A Small Switching Layout" and "8 Realistic Track Plans for Small Switching Layouts" both books are by Lance Mindheim and well worth a fireside study on a cold winter's night.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!

Messages In This Thread