TPBO
Stein;
That's a pretty ratio to use for compressing tracks, structures and trains in HO. But like you, I would be careful to not compress anything down to a size where it looked too small or worse yet, wouldn't work. That's one of the biggest problems I've seen on far too many switching layout plans you tend to find - switching leads or tail tracks too short or the horror of all horrors, the switch back industry arrangement!
steinjr Wrote:one neat trick I have seen (e.g. on pictures of Chuck Hitchcock's former Argentine Industrial District Railroad, or on Ralph "car floater"'s layout) for doing those tracks that curve away from the main track is to put those industries on small peninsulas that stick out into the aisle. Ralph in particular got a very neat idea with slanting narrow peninsulas instead of peninsulas located at 90 degrees to the layout.
Not sure if that is applicable to your layout. Looking forward to seeing what you will end up doing!
Wish I could do that, but just isn't room. Would sure make things more interesting, and having one or two industries that curved or angled off the main benchwork would really allow me to have a couple more industry tracks.

I completed temporarily putting down all the track as shown in my basic plan during the night, put one pair of power feeders on it and have been doing some switching on it to get a general feel for how the layout will operate. Even though everything is fine operationally, I'm already seeing that I need to make some refinements and may relocate an industry or two. Maybe add one more, if it won't make things look to crowded.

I do know that if I go with this plan and theme, I'm for sure going to add the separate 6 foot staging track. Just don't like the "feel" (and look) of the train already on the spur when you start an operating session. Could live with it, but it just doesn't feel right to me, at least not for this type of operation. Would be fine if it was set up to be a separate short line or industrial railroad like what Jack Hill is doing.

Was enjoyable to actually operate it. Didn't make up an actual switch list for this first test run, but simply staged the loco with 5 inbound cars and just placed, pulled or re-spotted cars that "felt right". Just working the container plant and placing and pulling a car from each of the other tracks - it took well over an hour. I'll make up a couple of switch lists later today or this evening and have a couple of real operating sessions before I change anything. Should give me a better feel for things and allow me to see where there are potential problems.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread