TPBO
Brakie Wrote:IMHO when one operates on a ISL one should allow for walking,setting ,releasing a handbrake unlocking a switch and opening or closing a derail.
Same here, have always done that to some extent. Even waiting a few seconds between moves makes it more prototypical and really does make the layout seem larger.

Speaking of derails, I'd like to have operating ones on the layout at some point. I know someone makes them or at least as detail parts that could probably be modified to work. I know that I had some at one time, but haven't found them in any of the boxes or piles of stuff yet.

What I was doing this morning was taking a drink of coffee between moves. The few seconds it takes to set down the throttle - pick up the coffee cup - take a drink - set the cup down - and pick up the throttle works just great. For a bit longer time period, go fill up the coffee cup. Of course you can always take your 20 minute lunch during a session too! Also discovered that since I've been replacing all my plastic wheels with metals ones I often have to chock the wheels to keep a car from rolling off spot! That added a few seconds too. I used little inch long pieces of 1/16th balsa wood.

Lance Mindheim has touched on doing things like that in one of his books and in some of his magazine articles so people are beginning to get the word and put these things into practice. No need to take it to the extreme, but you sure don't just slam into a cut of cars - flip the reverser - and blast off!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread