My Father
I remember being woken up every 3rd Monday of the month at 4AM by one of the most gentle and important voices any child will ever have the privilidge of hearing. The voice would call my name "Luis Carlos, Luis Carlos, despierta". "Wake up, Luis Carlos." The voice would tell me that he loved me and that he hoped the month would pass quickly so that we would be able to see each other again soon. I would wake up, half asleep, I would hug him and tell him that I loved him. He would slip a dollar under my pillow, that was enough to feed myself for a whole week at school. Then in the blink of an eye, he would be gone for a whole month, missed by this child who would silently cry because of his absence. One weekend a month...is all I needed to receive all the love in the world. One weekend a month would give me enough inspiration to do good in school and to behave and pay attention to my mother. One weekend a month was spent with him, and that one weekend made me feel like the happiest child on the planet. I didnt care that all I got was one weekend. That was enough time for me to feel just as happy, if not more, than any child that got to hear that gentle voice everyday.

That one wekend a month, for 10 years, brings the warmest memories of my father. I will miss you everyday, just like always. I will continue to follow your teachings and footsteps and continue to be a respectable, well mannered man...just like you taught me.

Rest in peace daddy. We lost your battle with cancer, but you gave me a lifetime full of happiness. I love you with all my heart

Jose C. Valdez March18, 1958 - December 7, 2010

Messages In This Thread