Placing Rail Served Industries On Layout Edge
bdw9535 Wrote:I have a section of the layout that has an industrial park. There is a beverage warehouse that is along the edge and can spot two 62' boxcars. The building is approx 1 1/2" x 26 1/2" and has an open back.(Still needs to be detailed). When we operate the guys using manually uncouple before the car gets behind the building then shove to its spot.    
Bruce
Bruce;
Thanks for the photo. Exactly what I was thinking about, but perhaps with the track actually inside the building.

The inside of these structures is pretty barren looking. Just steel I and H beams with the metal siding attached to them. The rest just a big concrete platform, with pallets full of "stuff" all over the place.

The case house at Schenley Distillers on the now abandoned F&C Railroad is a metal building with the track inside and more often than not, we'd have to pull everything, line up our cars outside and then shove everything back into the building.

Like some others, I'm not into the delayed uncoupling feature, although it would work okay manually with either Kadee or Sergent couplers. Would sort of simulate having to manually align a drawbar on the real thing - something I did frequently.

Just have never liked trying to use magnets, because of the un-prototypical moves you must make: stop over ramp, let couplers separate, move away slightly, then move back into the couplers that are now off center, then shove to rest.

Any way, for now, I'm testing out how having a track behind a structure sitting at an angle might work out. If it becomes a hassle, then it's back to the drawing board!

Getting some interesting feedback on this topic! Thumbsup
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread