Placing Rail Served Industries On Layout Edge
Brakie Wrote:MM,IMHO I believe the contemporary switching layout designs will take some time to adjust to especially buildings being place along the front-something that's been frown on for years for the reasons you mention and among others..

I do like the concept simply because the prototype has industries on both sides of the track instead of one side and with the industry facing the front like you see on most layouts.
When I posted this thread, I was very curious about how many folks, if any, had actually done this. Getting some interesting feedback here.

While trying to come up with an industrial switching spur plan, it really bothers me that for the most part, I have to place all rail served structures against the backdrop and only have open type industries toward the front (i.e.; trans-load/team track, or similar facilities). Almost all of the prototype spurs that I've found and that appeal to me, have structures on both sides of the spur. A look that I would like to capture, but know that for the most part, it won't be practical.

I'm considering placing at least one rail served structure at the front edge of the layout, but with a building and track at an angle to the spur, so that I can, in theory, look around the end and see what is spotted there and couple/uncouple relatively easy. Not sure how it will look, but have seen that sort of thing done on other layouts and to me, it looks just fine.

I still like the idea of having a track running inside of a warehouse type structure like the photo I posted and similar to what bdw9535 has shown. But still wondering about how I'd have to handle coupling/uncoupling cars.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread