Placing Rail Served Industries On Layout Edge
faraway Wrote:That has been my first warehouse at the edge. Do not forget to do the walls thick enough. I had to redo the entire building because the walls were one layer styrene only. Sorry, can't find photo of the second warehouse with correct thick walls.
[Image: Img_0066.jpg?t=1293063276]
I did never feel happy been separated from the track by the warehouse. May be that is because it was directly in front of my face when I sat at my default position. It was a feeling only but very disturbing.
Thanks so much for posting these photos! I knew I'd seen this before and it's certainly like what I'd like to have on the ISL.

Since I operate standing and walking along with the train or sitting on a high stool sometimes to relieve the aching back Big Grin - I don't think it would bother me to have a structure or two on the edge like this. Right now, the only thing that is bothering me about the mock up, is the fact that it's just a bunch of Athearn boxes on edge and doesn't look much like a warehouse. 35

As for the wall thickness. I see what you mean. If the building is of concrete, brick or block construction, then you'd sure have to make sure the walls looked thick enough. However, if the building is of metal sheathed construction as so many are, they wouldn't be very thick in cross-section at all - but you would have to be able to see the corrugations on the inner wall. Do like the look of your structure - thin walls or not.

Looking at this interior warehouse photo, you can see that it would be pretty simple to duplcate. It even appears that the wall by the track is actually made of a semi-transparent material that allows light into the structure, but could just appear that way because of the interior lighting.    
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread