Placing Rail Served Industries On Layout Edge
This topic is particularly appropriate for me as I am modelling the EFRR and I particularly want to model the TQW warehouse from an inside view [in condensed form] as the whole railroad lends itself to being modelled froman East facing point of view.
Ed's photo is of EFRR 2716 inside the Total Quality Warehouse [TQW] in Effingham, Illinois train train
As far as the interior of the warehouse is concerned, the white material is I assume some sort of insulation wrap material with probably fibreglass insulation blanket behind. I base this on my knowledge of industrial type buildings here in Australia and I am assuming that given how cold Illinois winters can get and that TQW is a 24/7/365 concern, keeping some warmth in and stopping cold winds is important.
With regard to switching moves inside the warehouse; it is a through track with a run track around outside on the other side of the concrete and sheet metal wall behind EFRR 2716. Engine drags cut of cars into warehouse, and if no other switching is to be done, shuts down and cut of railcars are unloaded by forklift trucks and the loads are either positioned for rapid reload onto trucks or storage within the warehouse. Items stored at TQW include rolls of printing paper, large sheets of chipboard for a large cabinetmaker, billets of aluminium, food stuffs and I believe frozen foods. They have also handled coils of sheet steel. Basically TQW will provide third party logistics for just about anyone within a days drive of Effingham.
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More

Messages In This Thread