Placing Rail Served Industries On Layout Edge
Mike Kieran Wrote:Then again, if you just model the front wall, canopy, and loading dock, you should be able to reach over the canopy with an uncoupling pick.
Exactly Mike. That was the idea of the drawing I have posted on here. I currently have a mock up structure that is 4 inches deep and varies from 3 inches to 4 inches in height at the front of the bench work. With the rail spur behind it spaced on a 1 1/2 inch center from the structure wall and have had no problems with uncoupling cars using a simple uncoupling pick.

Once I actually model the structure, there may be minor problems because of some roof details at one end of the structure, but it doesn't appear to be that big of an issue; just will have to be a bit more careful (make a slightly longer uncoupling pick if necessary). I've studied several similar facilities (chocolates plant) and noticed that the rail siding was much further from the structure then what we typically see at a warehouse or similar structure and that helps too.

Of course you can't see the cars on spot behind the structure, but there again that hasn't proved to be a big problem either. I can easily look over the top of the structure and see the cars on spot, so it's actually more of a display issue then an operational issue. To me, it just looks more like your typical industrial spur to have structures on each side of the industrial lead.

I may also move this large structure to the end of the spur rather than its current location toward the center as you can stand at the end of the bench work and look down the spur if desired. I still have the fall back option of placing a trans-load track where that facility is right now, but it just doesn't really appeal to me that much. Nothing is set in stone at the moment and this has been an interesting "test" for the track plan/industry arrangement.

Were I going to put some kind of warehouse on the front edge, then I'd most likely go with something like what I show in the drawing. I wouldn't want just an open, uncovered dock.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread