Placing Rail Served Industries On Layout Edge
Reinhard;

I sure see what you mean. That would indeed make for a fantastic looking industrial area to model, BUT how would we do it with our limited space for modeling? I've run in to many similar situations on railroads or industrial areas that appealed to me, but it always meant that spurs would have to be straightened out to the point that the whole thing no longer looked like the prototype. Hence, I have always looked for prototype track arrangements that would fit in a narrow shelf design, even if the prototype is perfectly straight (ideal) or at least if you must straighten out a track, it still looks okay.

As modelers, we have to make so many concessions and adjustments - straighten out or run a track in the opposite direction from the prototype - reduce the size and number of car spots at a particular industry, all the while trying to achieve the look of the prototype. Having a series of short tracks that only can spot one or two cars and industries that look far too small to be rail served, just doesn't work for me. True, you can find what I call "model railroad size" structures that are rail served, but they are few and far between. The cold storage facility and food processor that my model will be based on, is 595 feet in length with a spur that is 789 feet long from the switch point. That means that the structure would be 5.83 feet long and the track itself 9.5 feet long! I feel pleased that I could condense it down and still get the look and feel of the prototype.

On my recently revamped track plan, I do have a couple of industries that only can spot one car (or two at the beverage distributor as it turned out), but I know of prototype situations where that is the case. Many typical small town lumber dealers in this area can handle only one car (perhaps two) at a time, but then one or two shipments a month would be high volume business for them.

A real eye opener is to use Google Maps or Earth and start measuring the length of structures and tracks and then realize that the structure and track would be perhaps 10 to 12 feet in length in HO scale! Darn few of us have room to duplicate that sort of situation. I feel lucky that I have room to have industrial tracks that are in the 5 to 6 foot length and be able to at least get the look and feel of the prototype.

All I can say is that the work you're doing on your layout and all the beautiful structures is outstanding! I hope that I can come even slightly close to what you've accomplished, once I can start the actual construction of my layout.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread