SLC Mechanical Reefers
AF350 Wrote:Wow those refrigeration units look great, I have seen a similar reffer at an industrial site next to a recycling business.

Have you had the kits long or do you know of a shop that has a stache of kits?

A couple months ago, I was visiting a local model shop which caters mostly to military and architectural modeling. They had a decent assortment of BB kits on the shelves. I bought up a bunch of 50 foot boxcars, and they had 3 of the 1624 undecorated reefers. I bought them only because they were cheap and I figured I would use them for pars, floors, frames, trucks. Then a few weeks later, I caught the BNSF switching out the potato factory with all the SLC reefers, and decided I wanted to model that. Went home and checked out the 1624s, they were a good starting place for the SLC reefers.

So, I began a search on-line, the only place I found a decent quantity was at Railroad Depot Hobbies, so I bought 12. They may still have more. They do have a decent assortment of other BB kits for reasonable prices. Athearn still makes these in RTR, although they will be painted for various roads. To do the SLC cars, could just sand off or otherwise remove the lettering, then paint them. Some judicious shopping can find the Athearn RTRs for 10 bucks, and they come with metal wheelsets.

Messages In This Thread