SLC Mechanical Reefers
nkp, thanks for your interest. I agree with you, for me the models don't have to be exact replicas, what matters is do they give the overall "feel" and "texture". What I mean is, when the cars are on the layout, and perhaps we are viewing a photo of the prototype, will we think "hey, those models are those cars from the photo!"

Galen and biL, I had noticed that the Athearn cars ride too high, so after I built the first R and D model, I did file the bolsters on all the chassis down and am replacing the Athearn trucks with Atlas trucks. I also extended the side sills down with a piece of .030 x .040 strip. So, the cars are riding a bit lower than stock, and the extra side sill extends down over the trucks a bit like the prototype. This is evidenced in the photo from the second page of this thread.

bil: Lowering the cars does affect the coupler height, but Kadee offset couplers can be used. I haven't really checked what I need to do on the couplers yet, but the fix is easy and I have a bunch of the Kadee #47 couplers already.

Messages In This Thread