Track laying tool questions
odave Wrote:... I know the NMRA gauge is essential, but I have a few questions about other tools:
1. Would the Micro-Mark tool set be worth buying? And does the ballast spreader tool really work?

O'Dave, in the past I have hand laid my track ... code 83 and code 70 rail on wood ties on homosote on plywood. I have all of the first four of those tools (from whichever company sold them back in the seventies.) I've used them all once. I did use the soldering one with the two cut-outs more than once, but if I knew then what I know now ... I would pass on those tools. They look good ... but ...

If you feel you MUST have them, PM me with your address and I'll send you the ones I have.

odave Wrote:2. My soldering iron isn't very good, so I'm considering an upgrade. I've never used a soldering gun before, would that be better than a conventional iron? I'd be doing electrical work with it too. Thanks,

I don't know what you mean by "isn't very good," but for track you need something that will heat relatively large pieces of metal quickly so as not to melt the plastic ties. And then for electrical/electronics work you need something that you can use a couple of different tips on as well as vary the temperature on, as small stuff like decoder wires and soldering magnet wires on those tiny surface-mount LED's (that make great ditch lights) can't take the kind of heat that you would use for soldering rail power feeder drops.

I have two irons and a gun. The gun was my Dad's ... I never use it ... well, I've used it in the garage under the "dashboard" of the little "flying shoebox" I'm building out there. I use the two soldering station irons ... the larger one for track and Bus Wires and the little "variable speed" one for electrical and electronics ... especially the electronics.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread