Iron Ore Mine & Steel Mill in N Scale
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd kick off this thread for my layout dispite not having any photos that I can share with you yet. I do have pictures that I've taken, but my computer is unable to read the new fancy SDHC card in my digital camera and I left my USB cable back in the office; but I should be able to get my hands on it soon and give you a photo update shortly.

For those of you unfamiliar with my project, I cam building a steel mill facility in N scale. This includes major structures like blast furnaces (x2), coke oven, electric arc furnaces, and rolling mills. I will also be including supporting facilities such as the blast air blowing engine house, chemical processing plant, settling tanks, power plant, workshop, etc. to try to make the layout as realistic as possible.

Also, there is a harbor with an ore dock and bridge crane (maybe a hewlit someday) with room for a couple of bulk carrier freighters. At the other far end of the layout is a high grade haematite open cut mine (Western Australian style) and stock piles with a gaint bucket wheel escavator. Needless to day it's a big project, but I'm loving it.

I'm going old-school DC and have two separate "lines." I have a main line whick basically takes iron ore from the stockpiles to the blast furnaces or to the ore dock for export. The other line is for all the switching with the steel mill; for example: carrying hot metal to the BOF or rolling mills, carrying slag, transporting steel to the dock, and carrying coal to the coke ovens.

Only the main line is wired up right now, but neither thr branch to the ore dock nor the branch to the blast furnaces highline are done so the GP38s justt chase each other around the the loop which suitably satifies my 1 year old.

I've got a decent track planning CAD program that I'll have to produce a track plan for you and post it, but I can't be bothered right now, so I'll have to put on my to-do list.

I was a bit torn deciding if I should post this thread in the N Scale section or into Logging/Mining. Obviously I've gone with the later since I am modelling an iron ore mine and the section appears to be underrepresented.

Anyways, again sorry for no photos, and thanks guys for PM'ing me to let me know about the new "the-gauge.net"

-Dr.J

Messages In This Thread