Asphalt Parking Lot
Started working on the parking lot at the white bank. Figured I would post progress photos, hope someone can make use of the technique. I think it works well, and can be used for asphalt or concrete. In this case, asphalt.

First, cut a piece of .040 styrene to the parking lot dimensions. For big lots, it helps to have 4' x 8' sheets so you don't have to splice pieces together. Next comes sanding with 80 grit sandpaper, and a bit of wire brush activity. Don't want to gouge too deeply, but get some texture on the styrene. This makes the paint washes work. Use a hobby knife and bevel the edges, trying not to be uniform, also cut some places out of the edges to make them less than straight. Then use the knife to make various grooves and scratches representing cracks. Sand over the edges and the cracks, and then run the knife through them again so there are no raised edges from the displace plastic.

This lot had a couple places where it was patched, with the patches being slightly raised above the original surface. Used .015 sheet, beveled the edges, and sanded it, then glued it on:

For a cracked up, deteriorated area, used the knife to score and gouge the surface out. (I put a thin black wash on this for the photos)

Around the edges, used the hobby knife to put alot of cracks in, typical of the edges of asphalt paving.

Messages In This Thread