Asphalt Parking Lot
Hey Dave, welcome to Big Blue!

On your question, I would say the roughened up plastic surface is about 85% responsible for the way the washes go on. Individual brush strokes aren't that important, although they can play a role in putting more wash "here" and less wash "there."

Often, when first throwing on a wash, I will see that it is too strong, and I will dip the brush in water and dilute the paint even more, spreading it over the plastic. Sometimes I will brush plain water over the surface, then pick up a brush of wash, and splatter it on, letting it spread in the previously applied water, then using the brush to blend it around.

I use a 1" wide brush, and wash the colors around as I see fit. it is best to use too thin of a wash then too strong. You can always do multiple passes, of course, letting them dry in between. The hair dryer can speed that up. Also, do the Krylon Flat or matte finish every third coat or so, and let it dry for 20 or 30 minutes before doing more wash. The krylon coat actually helps the next wash be a little "beady" which helps with the "speckled" look like real asphalt.

Important to aim for color variation - and if you perceive too much variation, that is when the powders help blend things together. Also, the dark streaks in the middle of the lanes are best done with powder, although they can be done with a wash. I put the powders on dry, and with the parking lot surface dry too. After that, another coat of krylon, and then on to the stripes.

You could also use dullcote, and I actually prefer dullcote, but the itty bitty cans are too danged expensive.

In all, you really can't mess this up. Just keep playing til you like what you have. To be honest, on the parking lot in question, I had originally put the stripes out in the middle on an angle, but didn't like it. So, I took sandpaper and sanded it off, and started over.... more washes and powders and krylon, then the stripes. And if the stripes come out too bright, powder can be used to tone them down.

Messages In This Thread