Industries -A Open Discussion.
The following is meant for discussion and food for thought no more no less.

Let's discuss industries and how we should model them..
First thing first..

Freight cars.
------------
Many of us buy freight cars that we like,just gotta have or perhaps like in my case a love for boxcars especially the IPD short line cars that was numerous in the 70s and we end up with excess number of the same type of car then we really need.
However,wise modelers will only buy the cars that match their industries..
-------------

Matching cars with industries.
-------------
Matching cars with industries takes a lot of discipline and advance planning.As we design our layouts we should focus on what types of industries we want to serve or will we be focusing on-say-grain or coal? Then of course the bulk of our cars should be covered hoppers or open hopper cars.
However,
On my past ISLs I tried to keep a even balance of cars between boxcars,covered hoppers,coil cars,gons(with removable load) and tanks.To my mind that gives a variety instead of looking at those IPD boxcars.

But Larry,I already have a ton of freight cars.

Lucky you..You get to match the industries to your cars the biggest industry needing your most dominate type of car.
--------------------
Choosing industries..

Choosing industries is a personal thing but,I will share my ideas..

I fully believe the bigger the better..I just like Godzilla size industries that look like they actually need rail service.IMHO even 3 or 4 large industries on a small layout looks better then several small industries that looks like a 53 foot trailer would max out the receiving area..
---------------

A highly debatable subject.
---------------
Should we match industries-elevator to grain mill or grain mill to bakery?

IMHO no..Why? I fully believe off line inbound/outbound loads is superior..Why else would you need that Santa Fe or PRR boxcar?
Also this gives you a opportunity to rotate cars-in other words- no more "gee,there's that rusty B&O gon again".

However,there are exceptions like loads in/empties out between a mine and power plant.

Catch All
---------
The team or distribution (modern speak)track can be a life saver if you have cars with no where to go.A load of John Deeres can be off loaded at a team track as can a tank car,plastic pellets etc..
----------
The industrial siding
----------
A short word here..What we need to remember is the industry siding is privately own by the company that uses it.The serving railroad track ends at the derail.
For those of you that uses ETTs you can have fun adding operation notes to your ETTs.
Such as: Locomotives larger the the 600 class are forbidden to operate over the A.F.Stephens Corporation industrail track at MP.123.8
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!

Messages In This Thread