Industries -A Open Discussion.
Larry, you do make some fine points there.

I guess it depends on a lot of factors as to what we buy in rolling stock.
Granted..... a lot does have to do with that "I gotta have it", syndrome, that all model railroaders seem to possess. But a lot also has do do with what era we model.
Since rail traffic was the way to ship before and during World War Two, alot of rolling stock was needed, and more boxcars were used no matter the industry. In those days, boxcars were very versatile, in that they could haul everything from, grain, to car parts, to whole autos. Buying a lot of boxcars would be justified.
It is a known fact that spotiing a boxcar, at a grain silo in the steam era, wouldn't seem out of place, because some shippers would take a normal boxcar and put a piece of plywood in front of the doors, and then could load it with grain.In the late 1950's to present day eras, spotting a boxcar at a grain silo for loading, would give you that "What the ...." impression, as covered hoppers were developed for just that purpose.
Having a grain silo, in the Northeast, for a major bakery is plausible, and would give a destination for that boxcar, or later, that covered hopper.
Another factor in choosing the rolling stock is the locations that we model. If I was modelling Pennsylvaina for instance, I could either chose the coal or steel industry as a basis. If I'm modeling the Midwest, grain would be the the most common industry, or today it would be ethanol. In the Northeast, maybe heavy industry. Logging in the Northwest, Fruits and Veggies out of Californai and Florida, and oil from Texas, Louisiana. Having a lot of common rolling stock to ship from these areas is then justified.

Modeling a small town, with say, a small manufacturing base, even one large factory, would require the right rolling stock. Maybe coiled steeel rolls, come in on those hooded coil cars, and the finished product out in boxcars. But there are also the support products that could come in by rail. Chemicals, plastic pellets, maybe some heavy machinery, or small parts required for the finished assembly can come in boxcars. Lets not for get also, what it takes to support the town. Coal, oil, or heating fuel for powering and warming the houses. All seperate industries that could be modeled, and would require the specific rolling stock for each.

It also depends on what knda of operation we are modeling also. If I'm modeling a bridge line, or Class 1, having a lot of assorted rolling stock is good, so seeing that "rusty gondola" go by again can't be avoiided. But unit trains of coal, intermodal and grain would also be needed. The Bridgeline and Class 1 could also interchange with a branchline, whether modeled or imagined, making an interchange track another "industry".

Theres also that "Industry Not Modeled", which could justify the rolling stock we buy. Somewhere, off layout, in another part of our modeled worlds, is an industry that "needs" a partcular type of rolling stock.

In conclusion, having a lot of rolling stcok on our little tiny worlds, is only emualting what the real world of railroading holds.
And unless you're a "count the rivets" modeler, having a lot of different types of rolling stock, in no matter how many quantities of each, is your own decsision. Justifing it being on your layout, is only a matter of telling a believable story.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.

Messages In This Thread