Industries -A Open Discussion.
MountainMan Wrote:I understand your concept but I think it depends on the time and place you are modeling. For example, turn-of-the-century gold mining towns had many small businesses and starter industries and received everything by rail, while later into the 20th century industries became larger and more centralized.

I don't think we're in disagreement here...I concede I was thinking of a more modern scenario...the two industrial switching layouts I've built were both set in a 50's - 60's time frame...that's an era of railroading that's near & dear to me...

But let's use the example you presented...say a mining town set in say...1900...
This would be a great theme for a layout, for one reason, like you mentioned, everything, goods, people, mail, everything...moved by rail...
I would do like this...
I would build the layout as two distinct "vignettes" or scenes;

*The Mine -
The possibilities here are too numerous to list...anything from a single spur & a headframe to any number of buildings, equipment, &...tracks...
The only limits you would have would be space & time...
Empty hoppers would be broubnt in, & ore koaded out...(I don't have much knowledge about gold mining proceedures, but I would assume that like other types of mineral mining, additionall processing/sorting, etc, could be done at the mine site, or transported to a different site)

The Town -
The sky's the limit here too...anything from a few sleepy buildings to a huge, bustling boom town...
I know that in some instances, mining towns were built literally, right on top of the mine itself, but if it were me, I'd model the town as having been built up a few miles away from the mine...
A major feature I would include in the town would be a juction/interchange, which would be the mine's & the town's connection to the "outside world"...
This would be a major operational featurewhere the resorces from the mine were shipped out, & all other goods & passengers moved to & from the layout...
A depot would be needed here, for both passengers & freight, & a cool feature would be a local or railbus that takes miners to & from the mine...
Within the town could be any number of potential rail customers, & rail sidings would be needed for them to have access toshipping/receiving...once again, more great switching potential within the town itself
-Drew-
"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."

Messages In This Thread