Industries -A Open Discussion.
This is an interesting topic. It can be approached from many different angles.
Where I live:
The rails that run close by, are now CN. I see centerbeam flats loaded with Canadian lumber products going South, empties going North. I see covered hoppers, and cylindrical hoppers loaded with grain, 50' and larger boxcars of every make and name, tank cars of every style, and size.
Just a short distance north of me is the EJ&E. There I'll see steel coil cars, and all the rest. Where the CN and EJ&E cross at Liethton, I also see a lot of UP traffic.
Where I model:
I've been HO scale from the beginning, and it was years before I got into HOn3. Interestingly, the HOn3 line, the industrial line of the Sag Harbor Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, came along late, but the shipyard it served has become the parent company for all my roads, but you don't see much of the actual shipyard ( except on my Ntrak module.)
Rolling stock, loco specific:
Probably the major percentage of rolling stock that I have is "loco specific". this is the rolling stock that makes up the train pulled by that road's loco. Forty feet of B&O hoppers, that run behind my EL3a. Another forty feet of wood reefers that run behind my Clinchfield Challengers. A generic mix of Northeastern rolling stock that runs behind my LIRR Alcos, or my "demo" Trainmaster. There's also a set of cars specifically to run behind the D&H Challenger. A long string of N&W hoppers, usually run with a 2-8-8-2 on the point, and another pushing at the rear. There's a pair of SP&S Alcos, with SP&S cars, A WP FTa+b,F7a and its string of WP rolling stock. lastly, there's all the C&O rolling stock that the H8's pull.
Being in a modular group that can set up with a straight run of up to 50', these trains became "par for the course" for the train shows we set up at.
Modeling an industry:
Thinking about this, I would have to consider modeling the complete shipyard, with all the 3' gauge, and at least two interchange points with standard gauge rail lines, one of them being the Cindys Harbor. The Shipyard would be regularly receiving steel, (wire,sheet,coils), paint by the tank car load, lumber, both construction grade, and for joiner work. There would be chain, natural and synthetic rope, coal, and on, and on. Outbound?, a variety of things from anchors, chocks, bollards, and assorted other castings, to boilers. (Schnabel loads), and small craft (depressed center flat loads), and maybe even a locomotive or two. The "Schoodic Point" needs a 30" gauge 2-6-6-2T, and the remains of the wrecked MILW SDL39 are still on the property, being rebuilt for use on the SM&CH. Moving [i]that[i] out of the shipyard, on 3' gauge track to the closest standard gauge interchange point, will "be an industry unto itself!"
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread