Newbie - District 22 - Downtown L.A. (A table top railway)
dave_long Wrote:Hi Jonte
Best of luck with the project, I'm also new to ho and building a small Miami layout there is a thread on here but its a little sparse at the moment while boards are finished being built which will be tomorrow hopefully. The tube in wire work looks pretty neat. I've not put anything on rmweb but I too have just started a blog for this project and more modelling once this layout is built which will be by June as its due at a show. My blog (see below) has a little more info but not as much as I would like yet but over the next few days quite a bit should appear. Its alway good to keep several different media forms going as you never know who reads what, you could get lots a viewers from here than say rmweb or vice versa or people who search google may find your blog before a forum, you know where this is going etc.

There are Xurons in production now that allow cutting rail in situ, not like the standard cutter Xurons which just take a piece off the end of a rail. Places like tools 2000 or squires will sell you a bendy mini drill fitment.

regards
Dave

Hi Dave
Thanks for the compliment. Your extremely kind.
I recognise your blog; I remember thinking I'm not the only one who makes virtual tours of overseas industrial areas :!: . Incidentally, how do you download the street view images?
I'd like to show the folks what this looks like today <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bobsgardenpath.com/AlleyInColor.html">http://www.bobsgardenpath.com/AlleyInColor.html</a><!-- m -->. This is what I'd intended to model - the atmosphere is overwhelming and I just had to build it. However, it raised the age old problem of how do you model a railroad only alley displayed at maximun height, without the buildings on one side obstructing your view. As I pointed out earlier on another forum, snapshot views between gaps in buildings or through open warehouse doors would eventually become frustrating, so I've had to have a rethink. The reason I mention this is because as soon as I saw this, I had to find it. Being so far away, Google was my only hope, so I spent two or three nights 'roaming' the streets of downtown L.A. until I eventually found it, and I'd love to show a 'then' and 'now' picture of the two. Just a quick line on how to download the image would do.

I was also extremely impressed with your XtrkCad designed track plan, so much so, I downloaded it and a quick tutorial on how to use it (posted by some benevolent soul) so that I could make one of my own.
This is the result:
    Wink

You've made your point quite well about blogs, and I as I said earlier, I shall continue to revisit my amateurish effort from time to time. Like Koos', your log is extremely professional full of attention to detail and well thought out. I could easily while away more than the odd half hour or so rummaging around in there - when I should really be modelling Icon_lol I can see that with your knack for detail, your layout will be well worth waiting for and I shall eagerly await any updates. Perhaps when you get onto the exhibition circuit I could pop along and see it in the flesh.

Thanks also for the pointers re the tools. I need to sort this sooner rather than later.

Anyway, regards for now Dave, and I look forward to seeing those completed baseboards.

Jonte Smile

Messages In This Thread