CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale
Just some thoughts on your carfloat operation pertaining to loading and unloading. I have two carfloats on my layout and to slow things done during an ops session the operators have to follow these guidelines. When loading the carfloat the center track is loaded as one move, then the track closes to the tug gets one car, the outside track then gets two cars, tug side then gets two cars, continue till float is loaded. To unload, one car from furthest track from tug, two from inside track, two from outside track, continue till tracks empty, center track then pulled. I have the Walthers carfloats and aprons so idler flats are used to reach onto the apron and float.
If you can find or borrow here are several books that you might find interesting , Brooklyn's Waterfront Railways by Jay Bendersky( mine is 21 Years old don't believe its still in print),New York Harbor Railroads by Thomas Flagg vols 1 and 2. Volume 2 has a section on docking and loading/unloading the carfloat. Where Rails Meet the Sea by Michael Krieger and Walthers Railroading Along the Waterfront, Eli Rantanes. The Walthers book is where I got the info on loading the carfloat. Kind of got a little long but maybe this will give you some additional info.

Bruce

Messages In This Thread