First weathering attempt - Kato RDC1
You could try this:

Start with black chalk and brush it on with a stiff bristled brush over the black washed areas. This will soften the edges and blend it a bit. Smoke & exhaust grime usually has softer edges unless it collects against a hard edge, perhaps.

Then, to tone it down, (if it needs it) try drybrushing silver paint over the areas where you don't want as much weathering. Go slow and work with very very light applications. In fact, put one on then walk away for a few minutes. Go have a snack or hit the head or something then come back and look again. Always easier to add more than take it away, but I have had success using this technique of drybrushing the base coat over the weathering to lessen the effect. This also works well to show flaking or peeling paint, by using a steely gray color to simulate that effect.

Just to be clear, it looks pretty good now and if you're happy with it then fantastic. But if you should want to change it somehow, then I offer these few suggestions. I won't be hurt in the least if you don't take them! Smile

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread