SSWUP ISL - Build
SSWUPinSA Wrote:I have been looking at possibly replacing all my couplers... What would you suggest...KAdee no5 or 58's...want reliability and looks and yes I have a guage to set them up as I feel thats most inportant..
If you're going to replace all your couplers and you want the best look in addition to reliable operation, I'd go with the Kadee No. 58 or 158 "Whisker" couplers. The whisker style have the centering spring as part of the coupler.

I use No. 5's myself, mainly because I already had so many cars equipped with them and for now, can't afford to replace everything with the slightly smaller "scale size" couplers. Nothing beats those Kadee metal couplers!

One other possible coupler you might want to look into are the Sergent Engineering scale size couplers http://sergentengineering.com/. They are all metal and look and function just like the real thing. Haven't tried them myself, but I've read that if you follow their assembly instructions, they function great. A few people have reported that they seem to take more force to couple, but my impression is that if they are properly lubricated and "worked" per their instructions, that isn't a problem.

A couple of the fellows on here are using them and really seem to like them.

By the way....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread