A One Industry Railroad Operation
I'd personally model one of the bourbon whiskey distilleries that we used to work here in Kentucky. Large car variety and plenty of switching involved.

Inbound:
Hoppers of coal for the power house.
Covered Hoppers (and the occasional 40ft box car) of corn, rye and malt
Empties for loading out the DDG (distillers dried grain) - 50ft XM box cars for bagged product and covered hoppers for bulk product
50ft XM box cars of new barrels
Empty 50ft XM box cars for shipping out used barrels (they can only be used one time)
Empty 50ft XL box cars for shipping out case whiskey
Tank cars of grain alcohol that is cut and bottled as gin/vodka

Outbound:
Box cars/covered hoppers of DDG
Box cars of used barrels
Box cars of case whiskey

Cars must be spotted at specific locations and sometimes inbound box cars of new barrels are reloaded with the used barrels. Also some inbound covered hoppers of grain might be re-spotted for shipping out DDG. Note that cars were often spotted on both case house tracks opposite the doors and loaded by moving through the inside cars to the outside cars. Tank cars of alcohol were spotted on the outside track opposite the bottling house, and unloaded by simply connecting a hose to the tank car.

Here's a reduced size diagram of the track arrangement at the Old Grandad Distillery as it existed in 1984 that I made up for a local history buff.

Twice a year when the distillery was in production (making the bourbon), it would often take us 4 or 5 hours to switch this one plant. Rest of the time, it varied from day to day depending on how much whiskey was being shipped out, how many tank cars of alcohol and cars of coal they might receive.

As you can see from the track arrangement, the plan could be adapted as a complete ISL using the spur as your staging track. Even scaled down with fewer car spots, it would still have plenty of switching. Had considered something like this myself, but since I spent quite a few years switching the prototype, I just wanted something different, rather than try to duplicate the good old days.

Several others in the same area: Old Crow - Old Taylor - Schenley (Ancient Age) that varied is size and track arrangements, but all with the same thing in common - car variety and plenty of switching involved.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread