A One Industry Railroad Operation
This discussion brings to mind a plausible switching layout, which might not be a "one industry railroad operation", but would be a "rail operation", where only one of many industries is modeled.
In its early years, Sag Harbor Shipbuilding & Drydock Company, received most of its materials by coastal freighters. Its industrial Narrow Gauge, moved the goods from the Docks, to the shipyard complex.
The standard gauge Sagaponack Montauk RR, was built as a connecting line between the Long island RR, and the Narrow gauge, to supplement, and later replace the freighters. ( there's still an occasional freighter shipment ).
The trans shipment point, ( standard to narrow ) still exists. ( regional growth over the years precluded replacing the Narrow Gauge line, as property that could be used for Standard Gauge right of way no longer can be acquired ).
The switching layout industry, then, would be that trans shipment point. Served by the New York & Atlantic, parts and materials would come in, and transfer to Narrow Gauge. Manufactured items, and parts for the Museum operated Sagaponack Montauk & Cindys Harbor RR, would transfer to, and be delivered by the NY&A.
There's 24" X 14' of space available ( was intended to be an On30 switchback ), that could be "re-dedicated".

MP-15s on one side, Narrow Gauge Steam on the other, with a plausible reason ( the shipyard owner loves steam locomotives ) for their co-existence in the middle. Big Grin

Products in -- ( bulk ) Steel, scrap iron, paint, chemicals, rope, chain, welding supplies, maritime quality lumber, etc.
Products out -- Maritime hardware, repair parts for ships / boats built by the yard, and for the museum locomotives maintained by the yard, subcontracted manufactured items, and Small Craft, manufactured, or rebuilt, etc.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread