TastyBake ISL
Southern Tuxedo Wrote:If I wanted to get another type of car onto the layout for variety, would sugar be delivered in any other types of hoppers? Maybe something that is just gravity discharged?

Also, am I correct in thinking that the pressure aide hoppers are good for cornstarch?
Mark
Mark;

Powder like commodities such as sugar or flour wouldn't be transported in gravity discharge covered hoppers, such as those designed for hauling feed or grain. The discharge gates and loading hatches don't seal airtight. The Airslide and now the Pressure Aid type cars were designed for such commodities. Corn starch in pressure aid type covered hopppers (even Airslides) would be right.

Now if your bakery was large enough to have its own milling operation, then you could well be receiving gravity discharge covered hoppers of oats, wheat or corn (think Frito's) which would be milled in to flour or processed in other ways.

Depending on what your bakery produces, you may well receive tank cars of corn syrup (which is actually a replacement for the more expensive cane sugar) and larger tank cars of vegetable oil. A good way to see what commodities you might be receiving would be to look at the ingredients on some products too. For instance, I'm looking at the ingredients on a box of Cheerios right now and it contains: Whole Grain Oats, Modified Corn Starch, Sugar, Salt and Wheat Starch.

You might also receive box cars of packaging materials. There are quite a few companies around that specialize in producing printed packaging for other companies.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread