Non-Agricultural Rural Industry Suggestions?
Non-Agricultural Rural Industry.........
Modern era......
Hmmmmmm.....

A Building Supplies Store / "Lumber Yard"
( not one of the "Big Box" type, but large enough for rail delivery. There's one in Mundelein, Illinois )
There's a small "Plastics manufacturer" within walking distance, Pellets in, Products out.
Small to midsize brick manufacturer.
Small "Custom Furniture" manufacturer.
And, the most ubiquitous of all Non-Agricultural Rural Industries, The Team Track....rail car to truck, transfer point.

If you are talking really "rural"? - - - - There's a track running through it. Big Grin Big Grin

Seriously, it is a matter of economics. The more rural the area, the less chance it will be served by rail -- at least in "modern times". Most of the freight would be handled by truck, and it would take a fairly large manufacturer to warrant a rail siding, unless it had already been there for a long time. (as in team track).
That said, It is your world, the more plausible it is, the more believable it is, but .....it IS your world.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread