A Swing Bridge instead of a Duck Under
Tired (or getting too old) to duck under??? Build a swing bridge to gain access to your layout's "innards" Smile

This bridge was adapted from a Model Railroader Magazine "HO Scale" articla from the early 2000's, but I cant find it anymore.

The Problem: I hurt my back years ago and now it really is a bad thing to "Duck". The MF&W RR has a section of "Air Space" about 30 - 40 inches wide and about 4 ft long that I have to get the trains across, since I can't get the time to teach them how to jump canyons. Eek Nope

One solution -- a "Drop in bridge" - you build it & put supports at either end - lay it down there & lay your track & scenery... Then when all the surrounding scenery is completed & you take said bridge up...where do you put it??? I have one already that just leans against the layout. Adding a second would be just too much.

Second Solution: A swing bridge - it stays attached to the framework, and "Swings " out of the way for access to your layout for operating, cleaning, building etc.... whatever you need to do, that cannot be reached from the edge of the layout.

Here's the finished bridge. Note the hinges on the left.

Attached Files Image(s)

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???

Messages In This Thread