Working on the MDC shay
The next two photos show the modifications to the top and front of the water tank.

This shows the fillers added to the dack of the cab. It's hard to see in this photo but there is a fabricated boiler and firebox back temperarily installed. I just found a photo of the cab interior of a shay to go by to add a little extra detail to the interior.

These are the wiper assemblies I made from .002" brass strap.

I think a wire wiper would work fine. Be sure the wipers are flexable enough to apply light preasure to the wheels. You could cut the tabs off the original wipers and solder the wire wiper to it, using it as a mount. Then use some light wire to hardwire the trucks to the motor or decoder. (I looped the wire down around the bottom post of the sideframe to give more flexability.)
Hardwiring will isolate the frame and make installing a decoder easier. If you are using the original openframe motor, it is easily isolated by removing the ground wire to the frame and wired to the decoder. Keeping the frame neutral will eliminate the worry of coupling to another loco or car and having a short.
Ray Marinaccio

Messages In This Thread