Givens and Druthers
I guess the expression, experience is the best teacher, really applies here. There's no question that being part of a club, fixed or modular layout, will help the individual decide on whether they like "operation", or running a train on a loop of whatever size.
The experience will also give insight to what we do not want to have or do, including things like "duckunders", hard to reach "problem" track, scenes that just don't work, etc.
With a modular layout, there's the probability that operators will have to take turns on the layout. One of the members of Lake County Society of Modular Engineers, has several modules that make up a yard. He spends his "off layout" time, making up the train he will run, "when his turn comes up". He gets the switching operation, and the "run through", both.
With the experience gained form club membership, the "Givens", and the "Druthers" can more easily be determined, and set down as the guidelines for planning the personal layout. The "givens", being the physical.....size, shape, cost, accessibility, etc.. the "druthers", being what you want to do, within the limitations of the "givens".
Experience? check.
Givens? check.
druthers? check. Now, where's that track planning guide, CAD program, it's time for the nuts and bolts!
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread