Givens and Druthers
Prairie Trains Wrote:Less is more? I see a lot of people on here building small layouts that are works of art, and then get tired of them right away and rip them up and start over to build a different one. To me this is a waist of time effort and money. A long time ago I decided I wanted a large layout that more than one person could operate on. I made no plans for an entire layout but built scenes I liked on modules with folding legs that could be stored until a permanent space became available. Each year I built what my time and hobby budget could afford. Today I have a 70% complete layout that a club operates on Wednesday nights. All my time and money spent is still there. Model Railroading to me was always looked at as a lifetime hobby and not something that had to be finished in a set time.

Robert...each to their own and you are entitled to your opinion. What I found interesting in your comment where these 2 phrases.... "A long time ago I decided I wanted a large layout......" And " Today I have a 70% complete layout....." Which is all fine and good...that is your modelling philosophy and if it suits and makes you happy...great.

And others do like to build a layout to completion,operate it for a short time and then either sell/give it away or rip it up and start a new layout....so what is wrong with that? If it is the way they get pleasure from the hobby who are we to judge?

However my comment was directed at the idea that we have, especially in N. America in particular, as the only way to enjoy the hobby is to build a huge basement layout....when in fact there are multiple ways to enjoy the hobby. Lets not forget also, some people, no matter how motivated they may be to have a really big layout may be constrained by lack of available space, even if they have the time,energy and or money.

In my particular case, as in so many, I started with a 40ft long by 2.5 ft wide around 3 walls baseboard....I got the track down ,wired and ballasted and then realised it was going to be at least 2 more years of work on scenery and details before it would be anything close to scenic completion....it overwhelmed me and I was ready to give up...until I met Shortliner,Chris Ellis and Model Trains International and they taught me about small,compact, manageable layouts. That saved the day....instead of being overwhelmed I now saw a way to accomplish all my various goals in the hobby....from building baseboards and models to wiring,scenery,weathering and yes operations....and the small switching layout I built all those years ago is still the one I operate today. If I want something bigger I go to my local club. So yes, less can very well be more.

Messages In This Thread