Givens and Druthers
It's a bit surprising to see that it has been almost SEVEN years since my last post here ! Eek

During that seven years, I have come to accept that my hobby isn't "model railroading" but model building. Ships, Planes, Sci-Fi, Scenery, Rockets, Rolling stock, trees, shrubs, detailing ........ and on, and on.
Every "big" thing, like a layout, involves just about all those things.

I settled on modules, for two basic reasons.
Each module is a small space, that can be detailed extensively, and is limited to just what track-work will exist in that space.
In my modular choice there are only two tracks required, to be able to connect with other modules in the group. Once the 2' X 4' module, with the two mainline tracks, end to end, is built, any other additions/modifications to it, are a personal choice. ( [i]I chose to go 30" X 4', to increase water area[/i] )
The lower level, dual gauge loop ( Standard , and 3' ) was my choice, as it added some extra bridges. The "Waterfront"/ harbor concept gave me space for displaying my "other hobby" model ship building.
The upper level "required" track, and the lower level "optional track" can be seen here, with SHS & D 3' gauge 2-4-4-2, with a box car and Caboose crossing the rolling lift bridge, over the Kennequogue River.

Yes, the bridges are all kits, most all of them "modified slightly", and there is 7-1/2 scale Acres of water....and.... yes I grew up very close to water, and boats, and then spent 20 years U.S.Navy. My two tours of duty in Maine, was the inspiration for the "waterfront scenes".
I recently saw an article about Pete Seeger's "Clearwater", a Hudson River Sloop, going through maintenance including the replacement of some hull planks. I had the rare opportunity to watch her construction, launch, and departure on her maiden voyage. It's personal experiences like those, that I can draw on for modelbuilding "inspiration".
Modules at show:

Wink Signature line 2 applies Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread