Neon sign (scratch in N)
I'm in the process of scratchbuilding (if this counts -- I like to think it does) a neon sign to hang on the inside of a window.

After experimenting with a few different methods, I've found one with very realistic results...especially in N. Larger scales might not be as convincing. But I need some input.

The final method I'm using:

I designed the signage using neon fonts in 2 colors -- solid black and white. I've printed the sign on transparency paper. The black creates a solid field for light blocking and the white remains transparent.

Because the black is not opaque enough, I've found that I have to layer 3 of these print outs on top of each other.

Behind them, I've placed a piece of white piece of paper that I've colored with a red Sharpie and light blue highlighter.

When there is no light shining through the back, the design appears clear like unlit neon tube. When the light is on, I get a really nice neon effect. I'm shocked at how good this looks.

The only problem...and I can use some help here.... Since I'm laying 3 sheets of transparency, I need a way to glue them together. It has to be a glue that won't react with the clear plastic and has to have a long-enough set-up time so I can align the printed images. For now, I just have them scotch-taped around the edges for me test, but in the end application that would show.

I've thought about white glue...which I may have to wide up using, but just wondering if there might be a better method.

Once I get this done, I'll post photos of the steps and the final installation.

Messages In This Thread