Reading P7sa back to a C1
My stumblings today !

* Having made a mistake on my first locomotive cab, and knowing the analogy " Your learn from your mistakes" I am wishing, and hoping this saying to be true. On my first cab try, I took the measurements placed on the loco design drawing and considered them to be true. I made a scale print of the locomotive drawing by scaling it down to where all measurements matched the measurements noted on the drawing in HO scale. Now my base locomotive is a Mantua Reading P7sa. To date it. It would be 1917 to 1940s. I am rebuilding it back to its as built in 1914 and 1915. There were four built in these years.
* Things I didn't take note of (see), while making plains for this first cab. I do see it now ! The Reading as built photo of #110 shows a very rounded Wooten fire box. The model doesn't have this feature. it has a sort of a wooten fire box. Not the same as in the prototype photo. The front of the models fire box is the same, a well rounder wooten. The rear at the backhead is tapered in with some flat surfaces coming down from the arch at the boiler top to where the another bend brings the edges in. Well my little hammer and anvil has reshaped the fire box rear section to as close to a rounded wooten as in the photo. Next I used a contour gauge to reproduce to exact arc of the fire box. Transferring this shape to a piece of plastic sheet. I rescaled the drawing to match this arc. matching it to the drawing print as I scaled it up and down till I had a match. In other words I made a bigger cab.
* I went to work on the front 4 windows and reproduced them nicely in my new front cab wall. 1 down 3 to go.
" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!

Messages In This Thread