Small commuter focused layout?
Hey guys,

This is partially me getting my thoughts down, but I would definitely love some input

Even though I won't be building it soon, I've come to terms with the fact that i've been trying to put to much on too little space. I'm starting a new look into a hypothetical future layout that fits within the confines of a 9x11 area.

Basically, i'm looking for a small layout that will let me model some commuter runs with reasonable frequency (and different consists), and allow for a small amount of local freight operations. my mind is currently seeing one 4' long station platform and a single industrial area, with staging at one end or the other. The longest commuter trains would be 4 cars long (abou 4 real feet).

though i'm not entirely sure what exact railroad i want to model, it shouldn't have a major effect on the track plan, apart from maybe some different scenery.

I don't have any specific track plan ideas of my own right now, but i'm still doodling. Any ideas would be great.

Givens and Druthers

Scale: HO
Gauge: Standard

Prototype: Conrail (freight and contracted Commuter operations)

Era: 1979
Region: Northern New Jersey/Philadelphia ***
Railroad: freelanced

Space:

Hypothetical 9x11 empty space.

Governing Rolling Stock: GG1s, 85' commuter cars (includes two car "married pairs", 190'). Atleast 30' scale foot height clearance for catenary

Relative Emphasis:

|______________________________V_______________|
Track/Operation .................................................. ..Scenic realism
|__________V___________________________________|
Mainline Running .................................................. ........ Switching

Operation Priorities: (rearrange as required)

1. Main-Line Passenger Train Operation
2. Local Freight Operations
3. Passenger Train Switching
4. Long Freight Train Operations

Typical operating Crew: Me
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread