Campbell Soup Plant
Brakie Wrote:
railohio Wrote:http://ourohio.org/index.php?page=campbe...ohio-roots

I'm surprise they use the locals when several reefer trailer loads may be better..

When I worked for produce trucking companies in the 1970's, a trailer load of produce hauled East of the Mississippi from California between March and August cost @$3,000.00 just for the freight charge. Campbells takes in 800,000 # of fresh produce per day. That is 20,000 trailer loads per day. At $3,000 per trailer load for freight only that comes to a $60,000,000.00 freight bill per day in addition to the cost of the produce. They may pay the local farmer the same price for his carrots as they would to buy the California carrots, but I bet the local farmer does not get a $3,000.00 freight charge per truck load. In addition, the small carrots that are crushed for juice are probably what the produce dealers would call second grade or culls, and don't demand nearly as good a price, so the local farmer probably either gets a compromise price that takes into consideration the average value of juice carrots versus dicer carrots, or he gets paid a lower price for the juice carrots than he does for the dicer carrots.

Messages In This Thread