Progress Shots
faraway Wrote:That is the way all German stations look. It is a lot of work but a well done catenary over a bunch of switches is an outstanding detail. Is Sommerfeldt catenary useful for an US based layout?

As was noted, only in a few places. In general, simple structures made from H-columns were preferred for cantenary constructon on most railroads prior to the 1980s, though it was hardly the rule.

Most modern Light-rail lines I've seen would use compatible catenary with the sommerfeldt types.

The New Haven to Boston route also has these European style poles, as well as the electrification from South Amboy to Long Branch on New Jersey Transit, completed in 1983.

IndyCity Wrote:Unfortunately only a few parts, Reinhard.

Look here - this is a good adress for american catenary systems: http://www.modelmemories.com/

Wow, I haven't been to Model Memmories in a while! It is sad to hear their prices have only increased, however.

On the other hand, its good to see that they have expanded their line to carry other railroads than the PRR and New Haven. I kind wish they would make some "over-running" third rail, such as that on the PATCO and other rail lines (model memmories has "under running" third rail kits. The difference is the third rail shoe is either "on" or "under" the third rail, respectively).

Some of the fancier Reading and DL&W supports might have been nice as well, but then most of these can be easily constructed from brass shapes (WAY easier than the PRR stuff).

I went to scratchbuilding to avoid the costs of model memmories, since I knew I would have to custom cut poles, and I just didn't want to put all that money in. I'm saving a little money by doing it my way, as opposed to buying the kits they sold.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread