Progress Shots
The Virginian was one of the first prototype railroads that inspired my interest -- I was maybe 12 years old when it merged into the N&W, and I was just starting to realize there were individual railroads that went to particular places, with individual characters. I've picked up most of the books and videos covering the VGN over the years, and while I like it, I'm realizing it's not the best railroad to model for a number of reasons, the really great MR project layout aside. Nevertheless, it's one of my "minors". I realized earlier this year that Bachmann had come out with new runs of the VGN FM H16-44, with much improved paint from the 1990s version, better wheels, and smoother opertion generally. I got one of the new ones very cheaply off Amazon, plus a new body shell to update a 1990s I already had:    
This is in the spirit of some of Reinhard's Bachmann discoveries, and these are actually a better deal than the GP50 or 70-ton, since they have flywheels and somewhat better details. I think Bachmann is missing a bet here, actually, since they apparently just have Virginian units in stock, when late FM H16-44s in this style ran on the N&W in both black and blue, the AC&Y, the B&O, the New Haven, the Penn Central, Bosques de Chihuahua, CP, and CN -- and these are good-running, acceptable layout models, in a time when we can probably kiss goodbye to Atlas Classics and Athearn RTR locos of only slightly better quality for less than $150.

The Virginian had 40 FM H16-44s numbered 10-49, in two body styles. The ones in the late style like the Bachmann were (I think) numbered 35-49. Only the end handrails differ on the model. Here's a postcard photo from my collection:    
The only place they were numbered was in the end number boards. I need to add numbers and builders plates, underframe bells, MU hoses, and slight weathering. After the N&W merger they got numbers 100 higher and N&W numbers added to the cab sides.

Messages In This Thread