Selective Compression
Surprisingly, the most basic concept in this discussion appears to have been completely ignored. Let's call it "matching expectations to reality", or some other PC label for the moment.

What era and equipment do you opt to model? How does that compare to your available space? How well do your "expectations match your reality"?

I have limited space; therefore, although I am working in N-scale, I am also working in an era that means smaller locomotives, smaller consists and sharper curves. The amount of selective compression I may have to apply is as little as possible, because most of the structures of the time are not massive, either, and my style of modeling allows me to include large industries using minimal space without the need for any compression.

It would have made no sense for me to attempt to model a huge, modern railway in action in such a limited space - about 110 sq ft - with sweeping large radii turns, long yards, huge locos and equipment and gigantic factory buildings, so I made a realistic choice that allows me to avoid all of that compression while staying faithful to my original concept.

Selective compression is a symptom of trying to match unrealistic expectations to existing reality in an artistically acceptable fashion. Something has to give.

Messages In This Thread