Bachman motors
:-(

that wasn't really what I wanted to hear- It's a public display and I'd rather not have them smoking every few weeks
:-(

A bit of history from the canefields
They used to use 2 or 3 of very similar locos to pull literally hundreds of 8 ton cane bins- no brakes at all except the loco!!!
I means some interesting `tricks' were used
eg once the bins were parked up in a siding- they have no brakes- how do you stop them rolling??- Answer- you literally chain them to the tracks!!
when a cane train wa backed into a siding either for overnight or until next season- to stop them rolling away when the loco was disconnected- it was required that once stopped a chain was passed around a chassis and then down under the track between sleepers to act as a brake...

Another bit of trivia from a retired cane driver I know- the newbies got the lead loco!!!
Apparently as they had no radios or other comms in his day, it was easier to have the newbies in the lead loco
the old hand then had charge of the 2nd loco
if it was `bumping the one in fronts bum' the revs were too high
if it was `moaning' then it was too slow
the older hands could tell exactly how their trailing loco was running against the lead loco by the sounds it made (moaning, chattering, grunting) were all terms I heard from the oldtimer about how they knew how to match power

Apparently its much easier to match up the lead from behind than to run from the front when both locos are manually driven

A bit of 1:1 history from the old timers who are rapidly passing on

So any ideas on what could be used in such a situation (willing to kitbash to make it look like a canefields loco- no rivet counters involved- so `near enough is good enough' on the looks

just has to be able to run for hours on end (i'd be happy with a 1 overhaul every 6 months as a good guideline...)
poopsie chicken tush

Messages In This Thread