Freelance 2012
Reinhard, I looked into my copy of what Santa Fe modelers call the "Worley Book" The actual title is Iron Horses Of The Santa Fe Trail by E.D. Worley. It covers virtually all of the Santa Fe locomotives built prior to 1963 or 1964, if there are photographs available. The copyright was 1965. 2316 was in the 2303 class which would have been an Alco S-1 I think. One problem is that not all of the pictures of locomotives are dated, so I'm not sure when they received the full zebra stripe scheme. There is a picture of 2330 which is an Alco S-2, I think, identified as photographed in 1948 in Los Angeles. It is in the same paint scheme as the picture of 2316 you linked to. There is also a photograph of #2353 taken the same year in Chicago with a similar paint scheme except that it has a thin stripe just on the top 1/3 of the sill. All of the pictures of Switch engines that have the full zebra stripe schemes that are dated a identify dates of 1959 to 1963, although most of the switchers had the blue & yellow scheme by 1963.

I looked through Early Diesel Days by McCall. Diesels on the Santa Fe between 1935 & 1955. The book shows switch engines with the simple paint schemes between the late 1930's through the end of WW2, but all of the pictures of units delivered after 1950 were painted with full zebra stripe schemes. t appears that by the early 1950's all switch engines had been painted in the zebra scheme.

I have done Santa Fe engines in Zebra stripe. It is fiddly, and takes time, but is a relatively easy paint job. Basically you just paint the unit
black, and then apply the stripes with decals.

Messages In This Thread