Freelance 2012
The making of shoe boxes is straight forward.

I use three kind of roofs
a. the roof is lower than the walls
b. the roof is on top of the walls
c. the roof is hangs over the front and real wall but the side walls are higher than the roof.

I use two kind of walls
x. the slab segments are imitated by 0.1mm styrene same size as the wall segments minus 1mm. That gives nice groves between the segments
y. the slabs are separated by vertical styrene strips.

1. Cut the four walls from 1.5mm styrene. I vary the height from 8 - 10 cm. The segments of the slabs are mostly 10 cm. That fits nice with 50' boxcars. 8 cm is an alternate size I use. The length is therefor a multiple of 10 or 8 cm.
2. Cut the loading doors into the segments. They are 1,5 cm from the bottom and 4 * 4 cm in size. 3 cm wide is an alternate size nice with 8cm slab size. Truck doors are 5,5cm high and 4 cm wide. Keep the rectangles from the doors and cut them diagonal. The triangles are perfect to support the corners of the building.
3. Glue two sides to the front. I use old computer harddisk to fix all three parts. Glue the triangles from step 2 into the corners. Of the building is no backdrop building glue the rear wall to the assembly.
4. Put the walls on a sheet of 1.5mm styrene with one perfect rectangle corner. Align the walls with the perfect corner of the styrene
a. mark the inner size of the walls on the styrene
b. mark the outer edge of the walls on the styrene
c. mark the inner edge of the side walls but add 0.5 cm for the front and real walls
5. Build roof support
a. Glue 0.25cm styrene at the top rim of all walls
b. na
c. Glue some styrene flush with the front/rear wall at the side walls
6. Glue the roof on the walls
7. Glue thin styrene strip on visible wall and roof edges (Bare cut styrene looks no so well)
8. Cut styrene rectangles from Evergreen metal sidings to be used as roll gates behind the loading gates
9. cut some 1 - 5 cm pieces from 1mm styrene strips and glue them as cables on the walls as you like
10. Cut little pieces of styrene and glue them at the end of the cables
That's it Smile

ps. Sorry for using metric measurements but that is the way I build them...
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread