matching cars to industries
Gravel, 70's, I recall seeing some 40' cars, used by a local "materials" company to haul sand and gravel, when I was driving past the Waukegan yard of the CNW. I can't remember the company, but...Walthers has the same car, the 40' 100 ton Ortner open aggregate hopper in road names CSX, FEC, WC (restenciled Algoma Central), Golden West Service, Algoma Central, SSAM / WC, Blue Circle Cement, and undec.
Page 180 in the 2008 catalog. Check the web site for current availability, or keep your eyes open at the swap meet. The cars are distinctive in that they have a platform at each end, and the hopper itself runs from bolster to bolster. There are three sets of quick discharge doors under. 100 ton two bay hoppers can also be used.
The Ortner cars may have been late 70's-early 80's, I can't remember exactly when I saw them....I wasn't really into that era at the time. They may have appeared at about the same time as the SD60's, on the CNW.
The Athearn 34' rib side hoppers could also be used.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread