A New Year... A New Project
I don't know how many "new layout" threads I've seen in the various model railroad forums since New Years Day. Well, here's another one...

Hopefully this will be the first of many posts following the planning and construction of my new HO scale layout. Unlike my previous project, this time we are going to try to have a plan. We'll see how that works out...

So, what are we planning? First, a little history... my last project was more of a diorama than an layout. It didn't take me long to figure out building something to look at wasn't going to be near as much fun as something that actually operated. Since we live in an apartment, space is limited - an office (or study as the floor plan labels it) that I share with the wife. What's more, I wanted to be able to disassemble the layout without destroying it if we needed to move. As I searched the web for ideas, I began looking at the industrial switching layout concept.

Lance Mindheim to the rescue...

So the basic concept for the new layout is a shelf mounted industrial switching layout with a heavy emphasis on switching operations. The benchwork will be in sections so the layout can be disassembled and moved if need be without destroying it. Several of the sections will be hollow-core doors wall-mounted on shelf brackets and two others - box girder - will be removable. The two removable sections are the result of an agreement between management - the wife - and labor - me... No duck-unders...

Room size and section dimensions
[Image: Room_Layout_Sections_Dimensions.jpg]

The sub-roadbed will be foam sheeting and the track level will be about 50" above floor level. The two removable sections will be stowed under the 24" wall-mounted sections when not in use. Most of the construction techniques come from Lance Mindheim's book, How to Build a Switching Layout.

As for actual progress, I'm still in the planning stage. I'm really going to try to do this one right... A basic track plan will be forthcoming. I still have some cleaning and re-arranging to do in the train room/office but I'll soon be putting together a shopping list for Lowes.

Stay tuned...
Len Turner
Texas South East RR
http://tserr.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread