Poll: How old are you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0-20
1.69%
1 1.69%
21-40
23.73%
14 23.73%
41-60
45.76%
27 45.76%
61-80
27.12%
16 27.12%
81+
1.69%
1 1.69%
Total 59 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The future of model railroading.
Tyson Rayles I bought this set in the 80s but it is an original 1957-8 set. The violet open hopper is from the set, the second one I found at the local train show last year on a consignment table for $5.00. I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. Big Grin Sorry for hijacking the thread FCIN but I couldn't resist throwing in that picture.
Back on topic, I do not think that the hobby is going to change much in the next 10 or 20 years. The numbers on your graph show a nice almost perfect bell curve at this time, that means as older hobbyists leave about the same number of younger or new people are coming in. The manufacturers may place less emphases on the transition era ( steam to diesel ) and make more modern era trains. I do see more advancements in technology and animation. As for trains in cyberspace I really don't think this will really take off. I know of only one person with a layout on his computer, but even for me it is to uninteresting and boring, let alone for young people of today who want shot em up car chase video games. By the way he is in the 61 to 80 group.

By the way I also model HO scale, We just finished our weekly Wednesday night operating session, but we only had four operators but still lots of fun. :mrgreen:
Robert
Modeling the Canadian National prairie region in 1959.

Messages In This Thread