Poll: How old are you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0-20
1.69%
1 1.69%
21-40
23.73%
14 23.73%
41-60
45.76%
27 45.76%
61-80
27.12%
16 27.12%
81+
1.69%
1 1.69%
Total 59 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The future of model railroading.
Russ Bellinis Wrote:I think my main point about steam was that I suspect that many model railroaders are like me. They would like steam, but getting a model that runs decently and pulls a real looking train is either impossible, way too expensive, or requires me to re-engineer the model to get it operating properly.

My diesels, I just put on the track and run. If they don't pull enough, add another one and mu it just like the prototype.

I disagree with the generalization. I think both steam and diesel models have their share of "dogs". Proto (and other makes) cracked gears, anyone? Six axle trucks that derail or have blind wheels so wide they short at turnouts?

That said, it is simpler (and therefore likely to be somewhat cheaper) to make a good performing diesel model than a good steam model. After all a diesel is a shell over a frame with 2 trucks, a double-ended motor, universal links and 2 gear towers. On steam models, the valve gear and side rods are more moving parts to go wrong. And pilot and trailing wheels take a little effort to get to perform well on ridiculous radius curves. But the Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 is just as good and consistent out of the box as a Proto-something with 6 wheel trucks. And there are other good steam models from Spectrum, BLI, and MTH.

Regardless of steam or diesel, a new, quality, nicely-detailed model from China is going to cost more than a C-note - and often more than several C-notes. Because of price and era, very little current production is going to be bought by me. So I'm more willing to compare apples to apples in the market. A 30 year old Athearn BB will definitely run out better out of the box than the Mantua/Tyco or Bachmann standard steam models. The better Chinese-made steam production didn't start until the late '90s. Blackstone has done very high quality Chinese builds for HOn3 - and chased MMI out of HOn3 because of the better out-of-the box experience. Of course, there are no diesels to compare in HOn3.

Feel free to disagree. I gave my analysis, and so far I'm sticking to it.

Messages In This Thread