Lets build a camelback,, or two.
Moving onward, and back to the firebox.,,

The first thing I wanted to get to today is the front casting of the firebox. Most early camelbacks had straight fireboxes like this one shown here. [Image: cnj-s940.jpg]
Latter on it was discovered that by lowering the forward edge of the firebox it became easier for the fireman (or men, some camels needed 2 ) to feed that cavernous belly. The modification also improved the draft over the coal thus improving efficiency as shown here.[Image: cnj-s0683dsa.jpg] To do this required me to add just a little length to the forward casting or it just looks silly.

I also wanted to change the contour of the side of the fireman's shelter. The original one was a straight 90 degree angle, I was after more of a rounded sloping side.     The edge was built up with styrene and sanded the the proper shape.

The next thing to get attention was the backhead.     Here I added a work light at the top, a few gauges here and there, and a break valve on the right. The last thing the rear casting needed was to beef up the thin cross section at the bottom. This part will support some of the weight of the boiler and I wanted the castings that I make to have a little more strength, I just attached some styrene the the inside of the casting so my molds will have a thicker finished product.     I've got a 3 day weekend coming up from work 2285_ so I'll be making molds of these parts then.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  

Messages In This Thread