Texas Southeast Belt
I’m finally getting started constructing my HO scale industrial switching layout, the Texas Southeast Belt Ry. The general theme is a fictional and freelanced SP/T&NO subsidiary based in southeast Texas in the post-World War II era. Most of the industries will be based on the East Texas timber & lumber industry of the period. The construction of the layout is based on Lance Mindheim’s “How to Build a Switching Layout.”

The bench work for the layout consists of hollow-core door panels - HCD’s - on wall-mounted shelf brackets around the perimeter of 10’ x 12’ 7” room. Access to the Living Room, Closet, and Bath are facilitated by lift out sections. The design will allow for switching operations even with the lift out sections removed. When in place I’ll have a full staging yard and a full loop of track.

Layout sections and room dimensions…
[Image: 12x18x18x24%2520Section%2520Base%2520v1.1.jpg]

Supports for the bench work are wall-mounted shelf brackets. I located the wall studs and used 2” coarse-thread drywall screws to attach them.
[Image: IMG_4925.JPG]

The shelf supports are then attached to the wall-mount brackets…
[Image: IMG_4928.JPG]

HCD panels are installed on the shelf supports…
[Image: IMG_4929.JPG]

The basic benchwork with most of the backdrop backing in place…
[Image: IMG_4932.JPG]

[Image: IMG_4933.JPG]

[Image: IMG_4935.JPG]

[Image: IMG_4937.JPG]

[Image: IMG_4939.JPG]

That’s it so far. I still need to attach the HCD panels to one another and secure them to the supports. After that’s done I’ll cover the panels with a layer of foam sheeting and paint the backdrop.

Thanks to everyone for looking & commenting!
Len Turner
Texas South East RR
http://tserr.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread